Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Who was Shakespeare?

There is only a limited amount of strong background information on William Shakespeare. It is agreed that he was born in 1564 and lived in England.  His parents were John Shakespeare who was a landowner and glovemaker, and his mom was Mary Arden.  He was married at 18 to Anne Hathaway, and they had a daughter and another girl who was once a twin.  He died in 1616 and had collaborated 32 total plays.  I essentially googled "Who was Shakespeare?" And I was sent to this website http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/merchant/shakespeare.html 

Shakespeare was a complex writer, that leads people to different translations and  understandings of his writings. I found the material hard to understand as it was without the iambic pentameter, and Old English writing. Once I read it slowly, studied it I found it easier to understand. Of course, it is still quite difficult to understand, and most likely always will, but I'm getting the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment