Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Weekend Glory

Weekend Glory -Maya Angelou

Some clichty folks don't know the facts,
posin' and preenin' and puttin' on acts,
stretchin' their backs.

They move into condos up over the ranks,
pawn their souls to the local banks.
Buying big cars they can't afford,
ridin' around town actin' bored.

If they want to learn how to live life right
they ought to study me on Saturday night.

My job at the plant ain't the biggest bet, but I pay my bills
and stay out of debt. I get my hair done
for my own self's sake, so I don't have to pick
and I don't have to rake.

Take the church money out and head cross town
to my friend girl's house where we plan our round.
We meet our men and go to a joint
where the music is blue
and to the point.

Folks write about me. They just can't see
how I work all week at the factory.
Then get spruced up and laugh and dance
And turn away from worry with sassy glance.

They accuse me of livin' from day to day,
but who are they kiddin'?
So are they.

My life ain't heaven but it sure ain't hell.
I'm not on top but I call it swell
if I'm able to work and get paid right
and have the luck to be Black
on a Saturday night


I chose this novel because it is very inspiring. Maya Angelou is an inspirational woman. The poem is not only showing her pride of being able to work hard, with a moral standard, but also also her pride race. It's an enjoyment to see the comparisons of daily lives, and also the joy of what the activities bring after work and on the weekends bring to a hard working woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment